Saturday, September 18, 2010

Miami Horror

In the summer following my freshman year of college, I was introduced to a (then) relatively small band by the name of Passion Pit.  I had somehow come across the song "Sleepyhead", loved it, and moved on to Chunk of Change.  About a month later, Manners was released and it instantly became a favorite of mine.  It wasn't long after I had fostered my infatuation for Manners that I developed an unhealthy obsession with In Ghost Colours by Cut Copy, literally overplaying the shit out of it (and still loving it).  The discovery of these two bands helped me recognize just how much I enjoyed the modern indie-electronic scene.

Ever since then, I've been searching...waiting...for a new band or album to come out that could possibly live up to the aforementioned records.  Miami Horror, a newly emerging Australian electropop band, just might be scratching the surface of those expectations.  On August 20th of this year, they released their debut album Illumination.  As an album in its entirety, it's not as good as either Manners or In Ghost Colours, but they certainly show flashes of fantastic music making ability.  They're also slightly different.  Where as In Ghost Colours draws heavy influence from the '80s synth-pop era of music, Illumination goes back a decade or so earlier, infusing huge elements of mid-'70s disco and house.  Still electronic, still dance, but a different feel.  What I've heard is enough to make me excited for their future endeavors, and I'll be sure to keep my eye on them.  Don't take my word for it though, below I have posted what I found to be two of the better songs on the album; "Sometimes" and "Holidays".  Have a listen:

 Sometimes

 Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment