Monday, November 29, 2010

Jonquil

As I emerged from my Thanksgiving food coma the other day, I was happy to come across the emerging British band called Jonquil.  On November 16th of this year, they released a new EP called One Hundred Suns, a fun and happy collection of songs that plays from beginning to finish quite easily.  I think one of the things that drew me to it was it's jangle pop influence, reminiscent of The Smiths and R.E.M., two of my favorite acts from the '80s.  This is a little different from their previous releases, which tend to be more folkish and dreary, not quite so pop.  Yet the different direction they seem to be taking might be working well; they recently signed with Dovecote Records (same as The Futureheads, Aberdeen City, and Bad Veins) and have played with such acts of Foals.  This EP just might be the one to launch them a little higher, I am pumped to see where they go!  Below I've posted the song "Fighting Smiles" from the recent release One Hundred Suns.  Hope ya'll like it.

 Fighting Smiles

Snag this and another track here.

No comments:

Post a Comment