Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Destroyer

2011....a new year with a new promise of great music and high ambitions.  For a while I debated which album would be the first to usher me into this new time span, and came up with Kaputt by Destroyer.  Even though it leaked several weeks early, I didn't have much interest in listening to it before I heard the song "Chinatown", which I found myself loving.  I figured it to be a good introduction to 2011, despite the fact that I had no idea what I was getting in to (I have not heard any of the previous Destroyer albums).  In the end, I found the album to be very enjoyable; a record full of smooth jazz elements and loud whispered vocals.  With his light use of saxophones and flutes, he is able to a create a very dreamy and atmospheric background, features which are present in the majority of his tracks.  In many portions of Kaputt, he carries the airy environment from song to song, where the flow can make the album seem ambient at points.  This is especially exemplified in the long "Bay of Pigs", an 11-minute journey through Destroyer's disco, jazz, and rock influences.  When all is said and done, it becomes a record you can get lost in....a very pleasant listen.  You can check out favorites "Chinatown" and "Kaputt" below.


Chinatown


Kaputt

Hope ya'll dig it!

No comments:

Post a Comment